Saturday 10 November 2012

Akuri (scrambled eggs) Parsi style

This is a dish my father used to make every weekend. He had a lot of Parsi friends and I guess he learnt how to make it from them. Not sure if he put his own take on it but it sure was one of the best I've ever had. I still, to date, make him make some, when I go back home to visit my Parents and love waking up to the aroma of this lovely breakfast dish.

From what I've understood, every family has their own version of it. A lot like it very spicy, but personally for me, I like it with just one green chilly (remove the seeds if you want to reduce the heat further). I like to add a mild chilly sauce or alternatively if I want it less spicy, a bit of ketchup to give it that extra oomph and a lovely finish to the dish.

You can use the same ingredients with the exception of the eggs and milk, to make paneer bhurji with crushed fresh or frozen paneer. I will post this version on a separate page, but the ingredients are basically the same.



Akuri, scrambled eggs
Akuri Scrambled Eggs Parsi Style


Ingredients:
2 eggs
1 tbsp of milk
1 onion chopped fine
1 green chilly chopped fine
1 red tomato chopped fine
2 cloves garlic chopped fine
1/4 tsp cumin/jeera powder
1/4 tsp coriander/dhania powder
1/4 tsp turmeric/haldi powder
1 tbsp Maggi's hot n sweet chilly sauce or ketchup
Fresh coriander/kotmir leaves for garnish

Method:
Start by beating the eggs in a bowl. Add the milk to the eggs (this helps to keep the eggs nice and soft when cooking). In a frying pan, heat the oil, add the onion and garlic and when translucent add the green chilly and tomato. Next add the spice powders and the chilly sauce or ketchup. Lastly add the eggs. Cook till they are nice and soft. Turn off the heat and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
It goes great with some hot buttered toast and a nice cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment