Thursday 22 August 2013

Quick And Easy Soup For Kids With Rissoni Pasta

This recipe is extremely versatile. Adults or children both can have it and you can simply add whatever ingredients you have in your pantry or fridge. I've been giving this to my babies from the time they started eating solid food, and even now they all love it.

This recipe is the kiddie version which I made for my 1 year old, but for adults you can add more grown up ingredients like shitake mushrooms, spring onions, boiled chicken or shrimp, sausages etc.. You can give this soup a thai twist as well. I love adding a bit of lettuce, just thrown in right at the end.

I've cooked this in my small pressure cooker as a one pot meal and it doesn't take more than 5 mins for the whole dish to be ready.
I didn't add tomatoes to this particular one, but I usually add a small tomato in as well.

I have used for this recipe, risoni pasta also known as orzo (rice like) pasta. For kids, you could also use alphabet pasta instead. I always have a box of this pasta sitting in my pantry.



quick and easy soup for kids with rissoni pasta
Quick and Easy Soup for Kids with Rissoni Pasta


Ingredients:
1 cup of rissoni pasta
1 onion chopped fine
1 potato diced in cubes
handful of baby peas
ham chopped in cubes
salt to taste
water

Method:
Heat oil in a small pressure cooker. Add in the onions and fry till translucent. Add in the potato, peas (except the ham) and about 1/2 tsp of salt. I haven't used a stock cube here, as I tend to avoid using them if I am cooking specially for my little one.

Add in the pasta and give it a good stir. Then add the water. Roughly around 4 - 6 cups of water. There should be an inch of water at least over the top of the pasta. You could add more water, as it will get absorbed by the pasta. You want to achieve a soup like consistency at the end.

Cover the pressure cooker and turn the heat on its highest setting. When it whistles, lower and time for 2 mins.
Once the timer is finished, take the cooker off the heat. Pressure cookers are dangerous and need to be handled with care so this is what I usually do when I need to open it; to release the steam you need to lift off the counterweight gradually and bleed off the steam, I usually do this by levering the weight with a fork and adjusting it to let out the steam gently or just run the sides of the cooker under water until it has suffficiently cooled down to reduce the pressure in the cooker.

Do NOT attempt to open the cooker without letting off the steam as this could result in some serious steam burns.

Once opened, add in the cubes of ham, and its ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment